Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Inherit the Kingdom

 The following was my entry to the July 2020 Size Riot story contest, #HistoricalJuly20.  The piece comes in at exactly 2000 words, for a 2000 word contest maximum, which I believe is what the kids call "sweaty."  


The story won first place for Sexiest-in-Show, as well as "Story which made you want to read everything the author has written."  Of these two wonderful compliments from the community, I think I'm slightly prouder of the latter.  Quite a few people punted on the "Sexy" category this time around, but there were an enormous number of brilliant and innovative pieces.  Plenty of things that made ME wonder just who exactly had written THAT, and where I could find more of it.


I got lots of lovely feedback, but there was one recurring theme: people seemed confused as to exactly when this story was taking place.  What its place was in history, in other words.  This... isn't a great problem to have, when you're writing for a history story contest.  Early versions of this story made the period and setting more explicit.  I ended up cutting much of this to come in under the length limit, without a single word to spare.  I also originally had more period-appropriate dialogue--this I eventually decided just made the story hard to understand.  So here you have a simple, elegant story, that I'll admit missed a bit of the point.  Thus, at this risk of telling, and not showing....



Inherit the Kingdom


Setting: Boston, 1660


Tags: F/m, shrinking, NSFW, dubious consent, non-consensual, mouthplay, insertion, entrapment



She was awake long that night, listening to the evensong of birds outside her window.  She was lost in thought and fantasy, and so at first took the gentle knock at her window as but a figment of an overworked imagination.  But then, small hands pressed against the glass latticework, and a tiny, perfect man stepped inside.

 

“Faith Wheelwright?  How pleased I am to make your acquaintance.”  No more than a foot in height, he bowed, then hopped, uninvited onto her bedside table.

 

This was a dream, for certain.  Yet a fair dream, and why not indulge it?  Faith glanced over her shoulder, checking the door was shut firm, then leaned down to get a better look at him.  “What cheer, little friend?  Pray keep your voice down.  Father doesn’t approve I have guests at this hour.”

 

 “I should think not.  A woman of your virtue, entertaining a male caller?  What scandal!  Especially as I am here to steal you away.”  He gave her a roguish grin.  “Richard du Loc, at your service.”

 

“Richard du Loc.”  She pursed her lips, trying the feel of it.  “A knightly name, if I remember my fairy tales.  But too grand for you, coming to me like a little thief in the night.  And to come unclothed?  For shame!  Nay, I shant call you by such a title.  How dost thou feel about… ‘Dick.’”  She gave him a knowing look.

 

He moved to cover himself, and managed to look bashful.  “You rightfully mock my appearance, good lady.  Both in stature, and undress.  I came in haste.  The draft I took was meant to reduce my form.  I thought nothing of attire, until it was too late.  I do beg your forgiveness.”

 

“My ire is matched by the size of the offense,” Faith replied.  “From what I can see, there is very little to forgive.”

 

The little man coughed.  “The night is cold.  It is a temporary condition, I can assure you.”

 

“Temporary?  That is well.  I had wondered how you meant to ‘steal me away.’”  She reached out a fingertip, and poked playfully at his little bicep.  “Good strong arms you have, Dick du Lac.  Yet I doubt in your ability to carry me across the threshold.”

 

Again, that delightfully roguish smile.  “The threshold, indeed.  Then you have seen through to my intentions.  I must again ask you forgive my impertinence.  I have come to ask you to be my wife.”

 

She laughed, an unrestrained bark of a sound, far too loud.  They both winced at it.  In the silence that followed, they listened as the house creaked in the autumn wind.  In the hearth, the last log of the evening cracked and smoldered.  Nothing stirred.

 

Faith leaned closer, whispering low.  “Do you know my predicament, Mr. du Loc?”

 

The little man nodded.

 

“Then you know I am promised to another.”

 

“Not so!”  He rushed to the edge of her table, fist held high.  “Two banns have been published for the congregation, without my lady’s presence or consent!  Three are required.  Until next Sunday, when none have objected to your union, you are promised to none!”

 

“And will you object, Dick?”  She gave him a sour smile.  “Even if you could raise your tiny voice to be heard.  Nay, none will object.  My father has waited long to have me wed.”

 

“I know it.  Even myself a poor traveling merchant, I have heard your story.  How you have twice before been promised, to men great and noble.”

 

“Is my tale such a byword, to be shared in every tavern?  I had hoped that my shame might be private.”  Faith gave a tragic sigh.

 

“I must tell you what is said of your newest suitor.  A rake.  Unworthy of a visible saint such as yourself, the purest and most righteous of women.  It is even said he caused the disappearance of those other two who sought your hand.  That by murder and treachery he seeks your bed.”

 

Faith drew herself up, letting herself tower over him, regally pulling the blankets about her.  “I am not a fool, Mr. du Loc.  I have heard the rumors.  Yet what am I to do?  Nothing that is holy could prevent our marriage.”

 

He held up a timid, placating hand.  “I know you are not foolish, Faith Wheelwright!  Forgive me, yet again!  But if nothing holy may save you, mightn’t I suggest… the unholy?”

 

Silence.  Outside, a whip-por-will called.  Faith scarcely breathed.  She lowered herself to him.  Close enough that she could smell the sweat of a hard day’s labor on the little man, see the streak of soot upon his brow.  “Speak.”

 

“I confess, ‘twas nothing holy that brought me to you in this state.  To speak with you thus, I stuck a pact with a consort of the devil himself.  Yet I so longed to be in your presence, fair lady, and if my plan be to your liking, we may yet find salvation.”

 

Faith wet her lips, mouth suddenly dry.  For a moment, it was as if she could taste him.  “I will hear your plan.”

 

“This very night I made a deal with a young woman, a wicked fiend, yet a member of your very church.  With her aid I stand before you thus.  I thought of no other way to meet in private, and offer my hand.”  He held his tiny palm out to her, imploring.

 

“Let us say you might earn it.”  Faith reached out her smallest finger, and placed the tip of it into his hand.

 

He beamed.  “Four potions I acquired, with my meager salary.  One robbed me of my size.  Another will return it, when our night is ended.  A third I will arrange to deliver onto you, tomorrow at sunset.”

 

Faith leaned closer still, lips nearly upon him now.  “Will it make me small, as you?  For you to carry me away in your pocket, safe and secure from those who would harm me?”

 

The tiny man seemed surprised.  “Indeed, dear lady.  The journey by ship is long to the Chesapeake, yet in my care I will keep you as a little queen, your every need met, until I might return you to normal.  Then, together as man and wife, we shall put this unholy business behind us.”

 

“Such sin is beyond forgiveness.  We will surely be damned for all time.”  Faith shook her head.  “Yet, I am with you, Dick.  For the salvation you offer, I will throw myself into eternal hellfire.”

 

He took her giant finger with both hands, and pressed his lip to her knuckle.  “We may yet be forgiven.  Satan, the great dragon, is mighty.  But in our devotion the lord gives strength to slay him.”

 

“Then perhaps I should test your devotion, oh smallest of knights.”  Faith grinned mischievously.  “Though tonight, let I be your dragon.”  Her hands closed around his waist.

 

“My lady!”

 

He was warm, as he struggled in her grasp.  “Doth my knight fear me?  I do not deny, I am towering, and hungry.  Never was there a greater dragon.  Yet for your cunning and bravery, tonight I might also be your garden.”

 

Faith watched as her words took effect.  Saw him tremble, and then relax.

 

“Would you explore the garden, worthy knight?”

 

He answered in moans, as her lips found his soft, bare, skin.  Tasting him, like forbidden fruit fallen ripe from the tree.  He hesitated, then opened to her.  Little legs spreading with ease.  His tiny forehead rest upon her brow, his hands upon her temples, as she kissed him.

 

“Good lady, are you certain about this?”

 

“Call me ‘good lady’ no more.  I am Faith to you.  Faith be the name of thy garden.”  She lifted him higher, letting her lips part.  For but a moment, she gave him succor upon his most sensitive part.  He whimpered, grasping her hair in little clumps, and groaned when she pulled away again.

 

“Repeat your lesson,” she breathed.

 

“Faith,” he panted.  “My garden be Faith….”

 

She smiled, and gave a reward for his studiousness.  Then, lying back, she lifted the blankets and set him upon her chest.  The night was chill, yet as was her habit, she wore no bedclothes.  She let her body warm him, let him take comfort in her.  He began to move upon her breast, and in the darkness she bit her cheek to remain silent.  Faith let her legs rub together in anticipation, knew that the scent of her desire must neigh overwhelm the little knight. 

 

He explored her with slow, worshipful care.  Her body grew hot, and her need for him went wild.  At last she could wait no longer.  She took him in her hands, and beneath the blankets, helped him to descend.  With instruction gentle yet candid, she told what she required. 

 

He tended her.  Faith found herself unable to fully silence her cries of exhalation.  Yet any who heard may have thought it but the mournful song of a passing night bird.  And her knight was worthy to his task.  As he entered her garden in full, she wondered that she had ever thought him too small.  His size was perfection.  Divine providence.  Thus, she bloomed for him.  

 

Thus, she burned.

 

After, he lay beside her.  He smiled with the wonder of a man who has caught a glimpse of paradise.  Faith favored him, holding him to her breast, as though he were a man in full. 

 

“One thing yet troubles me, Dick.”

 

“Do you say so?  And please, may I not be Richard to you?”

 

“Forgive me.  Richard.  You struck a deal for witchcraft, from one within my congregation?  I pray, tell me who?  If we expose them before we flee this place, it may go far toward our salvation.”

 

The spent little man looked grave.  “Aye, from one high upon the very body of your church.  A devious lass, by name of Agatha Vane.  A mean and hungry look she gave to my request, and though she prodded me for my intentions, I would not say.”

 

Faith shook her head sadly.  “Agatha.  Poor dear.  She never learned her lessons well.  We shall have to destroy her for this.”

 

“As you say, Faith.”

 

“In the first place, it is forbidden, offering service to outsiders.  Rumor may spread, putting all my sisters in danger.”

 

In his stupor, he was long in responding.  “Your… sisters?”

 

“In the second, deceiving you was petty and cruel.  An antidote?  For your condition?  My sincerest apologies, my grand little knight, but no such exists.  You must forgive me, for I, too, have deceived you by silence.  Yet my aims were just, and once you were delivered onto me at this size, I had but one recourse: to test you.”

 

He tried to stand, but his body was lethargic from his efforts in the garden.  She caught him, adoring yet firm, and held him aloft.

 

“Yet Agatha’s greatest and most unforgivable sin was her poor craftsmanship!  Though I am not sorry in the least to have met you at such a great size, her work was shoddy indeed to leave you so large.  Ah, however am I to keep you hidden?”

 

Faith pulled open the drawer.  Two tiny, masculine voices screamed up from the darkness, begging their salvation.  She ignored them, and withdrew a small, red vial.  Frowning regretfully, she allowed a single drop to anoint her little knight.  He screamed, and began to dwindle in her arms.

 

“Nay, worry not.  You have proven yourself tonight.  I will not forsake you, as I have the others.  Faith will keep you, and cherish you.  You may end tonight smaller by far than the rest in my charge.  This, I cannot help.  But you shall be the greatest.  And wait only until Sunday!  I promise you, when my new husband joins, I will make him smaller still.  For your virtuous deeds, I shall give you lordship and dominion over all.”  She kissed him once, and set him in her kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment