Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Master Plan - A #KinkyScribble

If you're a fiction writer feeling that old creeping terror of the blank page, let me recommend a #KinkyScribble.  Short, low stakes works of fiction, inspired by a simple idea, with minimal prep and edit time.  The goal is to imagine, start, edit, and finish something, all in one sitting.  It's not going to be perfect, but that's the point.

Everyone seems to have different rules they set for themselves, so your mileage may vary.  Personally, I set a hard word count limit.  Usually 300, but this time I decided to bump it to 700.  I pay careful attention to how much time I spend writing, and then editing.

I also solicit writing prompts on @pseudo_size, and pick whichever speaks to me, and seems to fit the form.  On that subject, thanks to Emmet (@HThereBeG1) for the following suggestion:






Write Time: 40 minutes
Edit Time: 25 minutes
Words: 700

Tags: Passive-aggressiveness, shitty roommates, criminal acts, growth, shrinking, female muscle growth, pulp



Master Plan



“Hey Gabrielle, can we talk?”

“Um, j-just a minute!” came the reply, but her door wasn’t latched, and my gentle knock had already sent it swinging open.

Gabby sat at her writer’s desk, facing away from me.  Shoulders tight, body rigid.  Practically frozen with fear.  I almost abandoned my plan to talk to her right there.  I avoid confrontation, as a general rule.  And Gabby was such a mousy, timid girl—new to the city, liable to flinch at any unexpected loud noise.  It would be much easier to leave her alone.

No.  Good fences make good neighbors, and all that.  Anyway I couldn’t afford to let another roommate walk all over me.

“So um, I noticed you were eating my food.  Again.  It’s cool, you know?  As long as you ask first.  But I just bought those two giant boxes of Cheezits like, yesterday?  I’m unemployed right now, Gabby.  Money’s tight.”

She nodded slowly, still facing the wall.  “Yeah, I’ll… replace them.  Sorry about that.”

“No worries.  Hey and ah, I think some of your laundry got mixed up in mine?”  I held up the sports bra so Gabby could see, but she didn’t look at it.  “It’s kind of weird though.  Maybe you had a guest over, that I didn’t know about?  This thing is WAY too big for you.  Like… WAY too big.  Plus, it’s torn all to shreds.  See?”

She didn’t turn.  “Oh.  I meant to get rid of that thing.  Would you mind throwing it out for me?”

I frowned, fought down a wave of irritation, decided it wasn’t worth picking a fight.  “Yeah, no problem.  Just remember, you’re supposed to give me a heads up when you invite people over.  Oh by the way, totally no hurry on this, no big deal, but you said you were going to fix the back door….”

“What?  Oh I completely forgot about that.  As soon as I figure out my money troubles.”

I couldn’t hold back my sigh of exasperation.  “Gabrielle.  Come on, it’s been almost a month!  I don’t know how you managed to slam the door hard enough to crack the frame like that.  But if the super sees it, we’re never getting out deposit back!  This is a BIG problem.”

Silence.

I was getting really annoyed now.  “Can you at least LOOK at me while I’m talking to you?”

Gabrielle sighed.  And slowly, she wheeled around in her chair.  I’d never seen her without her cute Indie-girl glasses before.  She looked really different.  Oddly familiar.  That smirk, especially that smirk….

I gasped, and tried to back out of the room.

“Something the matter, dear?”  She gave me an evil grin, and stood to follow.

“You—I’ve seen you on the news!  You’re… you’re Gargantuella!”

“Drat.  And you’ve cornered me in my lair, without my impenetrable disguise.” 

Her smile was growing.  So was she.  Her cozy woolen sweater, rising to expose her toned midriff.  Her sweat pants, struggling to contain her swelling thighs.  Her arms bulking, expanding, into the cartoonish physique I’d seen plastered on every newspaper and super market rag. 

“But… but… you just robbed the Second International Bank.  How do you have money troubles?”

She gave me a playful wink, brushed past me as she continued to swell into immensity, opened the drawer of her bedside table.  Between the tips of two giant fingers, she pinched something, held it out to me.

A burlap bag, with a dollar sign on the front.  The perfect size, for a little dollhouse bank robber. 

“So,” she mused, ducking to keep her head from hitting the ceiling.  “There are still a few kinks to work out in my master plan.  But perhaps I’ve said too much.  Now, the matter of what to do with YOU.”

I tried to flee from the hulking giantess, but she only laughed, and caught me by the back of my shirt.

“You’re still looking for work, aren’t you?  You’re in luck.  I’m in need of a henchman.”  She gave me a B minus super villain laugh. 

Already I could feel my clothes getting baggy, the room growing around me as I shrank. 

“Yes.  I think I have just the position for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment